Specifically, floor marking tape can be used to:
- Mark aisles in warehouses
- Mark the locations of pallets, bins, boxes, and other storage containers
- Mark the locations of equipment
- Mark where trash and recycling bins belong
- Create parking spaces for forklifts and other vehicles
- Create pathways for pedestrians
- Point people toward exits, emergency eyewash stations, and other locations
- Outline special workspaces
- Highlight areas where hazards exist (e.g. electrical hazards, tripping hazards, noise hazards, mechanical hazards, etc.)
These types of floor markings can serve several purposes including:
- Increasing safety (e.g. keeping pedestrians out of the paths of forklifts)
- Assisting with housekeeping and organization (e.g. people can see where recyclables should be placed)
- Providing instructions and directional information (e.g. pointing people toward an exit)
Floor marking tape is a visual tool that makes it easier for people to navigate through a space. When they see markings on the floor, they can often get the information they need without asking questions.
Using a specific color scheme for floor markings can help facilitate this process so your workplace gets the most out of these markings.
Here are some suggestions for color assignments:
- Yellow – aisles and traffic lanes
- Red – red tag area (for 5S workplaces); scrap area
- Orange – energized equipment; inspection area
- White – racks, machines, carts, equipment, etc.
- Red/white striped – areas that should be kept clear for safety reasons
- Yellow/black striped – physical or health hazards
Select colors that make sense for your operations and that are noticeable, especially when they’re used to highlight a safety issue. Businesses can also choose tapes of varying widths to serve different functions, too.
- Industrial Floor Marking Guidelines– creativesafetysupply.com
- Line Marking & Floor Tape– aislemarking.com
- Floor Marking Guidelines– safetyblognews.com
- Aisle Marking Tape Improves Safety– realsafety.org
- Floor Marking Applications– floor-tape.com
- Floor Marking Tape Color Standards– blog.creativesafetysupply.com
- Using Floor Tape for Facility Safety– facilityfloormarking.com
- Floor Tapes for Safety– blog.safetytac.com
- Types of Floor Marking Tapes for Warehouses– babelplex.com